In August 2011, a survey was administered to 72 faculty members that requested a copy of the ATC course design template. A total of 32 (44%) faculty responded to the survey. Of these, 86% indicated they actually used the template as the framework for the design of their online course. When asked about their satisfaction with each of the course design areas, faculty reported:
· 100% responded they would recommend the template to other faculty teaching online.
· 95% reported they would use the template again if scheduled to teach another online course.
· 95% were satisfied or very satisfied the template supported alignment of tools, media, and student support resources to stated learning objectives.
· 85% were either satisfied or very satisfied with the template’s ability to align assessments, course content resources/materials, and learning activities to stated learning objectives.
· 85% were either satisfied or very satisfied with the organization and navigation built into the template.
· 85% reported they felt the template did not stifle their creativity in designing their online course.
· 84% were satisfied or very satisfied with the template’s ability to enhance accessibility of online course materials.
· 37% agreed or strongly agreed students had made positive comments about the course as a result of using the template.
· 37% indicated they noticed improvement in student achievement as a result of using the template.
The following comments are open-ended responses from responding faculty:
· Online students have less questions than in the same course the previous semester.
· Fewer questions or statements like: "I'm so confused."
· I think more students are taking advantage of all the course content now the course is organized differently. I think the separation of introduction, content, assignment, and summary pages makes for a better-organized course.
· I believe the reduction in questions was a vote of confidence from the students this summer.
· As a newer faculty member, it was wonderful to have this template to work with!
· The template provides a great starting point and guide.
· It helped keep me organized so that I could be creative!
· The Veterans Services online courses began without the template. Our students appeared not to know exactly how to maneuver in the course. Once ATC shared the design template, I was able to modify courses and the students now appear to know how to maneuver the courses.
· Yes, I have recommended the new template to my co-workers, and will continue to do so.
· I think this is particularly helpful when redesigning a course or developing a new one.