The Institute for Emerging Leadership in Online Learning
On-site: August 5-8, 2013 State College, Pennsylvania
The Institute for Emerging Leadership in Online Learning (IELOL) is a unique blended-learning leadership development program sponsored by Penn State and the Sloan Consortium. Go to IELOL website. Applications may be posted here.
This institute is designed to serve the leadership development needs of professionals in the rapidly expanding field of online learning.
IELOL is a four-step leadership development program. The program begins with a two-week IELOL online experience (July 15–26) designed to identify and focus attention on key leadership challenges at the participants’ organizations. The second step is an on-site immersive experience at Penn State (August 5–9) that enables the IELOL participant to develop specific leadership skills, styles, networks, and strategies for the emerging leader. A three-week online follow-up program (September 16–October 4) provides senior-level mentoring and consulting for the participants as they apply the newly-acquired skills and concepts in their local settings. The program culminates with a preconference workshop (November 20-22) at the annual Sloan Consortium ALN conference in Orlando.
This is the fourth year for the program. We now have nearly 100 alums who continue to network and use the skills they developed in the institute. We have received many enthusiastic testimonials, and some excellent feedback that continues to help shape the program.
Being a participant in IELOL has reshaped my thinking and helped me work more purposefully to lead my university into online learning. I have come to see how important it is to balance day-to-day operational tasks with leadership activities as I help folks at my institution transform their thinking and change old paradigms. The IELOL program content was “spot-on” regarding leadership challenges common to universities, and the IELOL facilitators were knowledgeable, engaging, and helpful throughout the program. Best of all, now I am part of an IELOL alum group that is a tremendous resource for me going forward!
— Katie Jacobson, Point Loma College, IELOL 2012
- Develop an understanding of the role of online learning in a rapidly changing higher education context
- Conceptualize a leadership perspective to address institutional challenges in higher education
- Recognize and seize institutional opportunities for leadership in online education
- Establish a network of international colleagues involved in a variety of online education initiatives
Benefits of Attending
- Interact with national and international-level leaders in the field of higher and online education
- Experience leadership-development thinking in order to respond to online learning opportunities
- Immersive, team-building case study
- Opportunity to address current critical operational issues based on the Sloan Consortium Effective Practices’ Five Pillars:
1. learning effectiveness
4. faculty satisfaction
5. student satisfaction
- Strategize through the development of a vision for the future of online learning within your institution
- Receive an annual individual membership in Sloan Consortium
- Participate in a network of professionals and engagement with a growing IELOL alum community
Who Should Attend
This IELOL experience is designed for:
- persons positioned for leadership contributions in their institutions
- persons with such occupational titles as manager, associate director, assistant director
- personnel with responsibilities for online education initiatives
Sloan-C Members receive $500 off IELOL registration. Become a member.
Applications, with supporting nominations, will be reviewed and accepted on a rolling-enrollment, first-come, first-served basis. Preference will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- three to five years of experience in higher education
- desire to further develop their leadership capability in online education
- ability to apply the leadership skills and competencies to an institutional setting
- willingness to contribute to high-production project teams during the institute
This is a limited-enrollment program. Enrollments for IELOL are limited to 40 participants.
- April 26: Application submission deadline
- July 1: Registration deadline
- July 6: Hotel reservations are due
- July 15–26: Two-week IELOL Online
- August 5–8: Immersive experience at Penn State
- September 16–October 4: Three-week IELOL Online
- November 20-22: Sloan-C Annual Conference
Learn more about the application and fee.
For more details go to IELOL website.
Complete the application.