Online Nursing Mastery Series
Trading a campus classroom for an online program can be a big challenge. You know your curriculum and thrive in the classroom environment, but have you mastered the art of online nursing instruction?
The Online Nursing Mastery Series is specifically designed for nurse educators to provide you with the knowledge and skills to use multimedia instructional technologies confidently and effectively in your online nursing courses. The program is comprised of three workshops that enable nurse educators to:
- Explore the basics of electronic learning
- Design an online nursing course with multimedia technology
- Create a virtual and collaboration-enabled lesson plan
- Augment your lesson plans using several educational technology tools
At the conclusion of the Mastery Series, you will integrate your knowledge and skills to transform your current or future online course into a creative, engaging and motivational community for online learners.
Mastery Series Prerequisite: Online Teaching Experience or New to Online: The Essentials Workshop (1 Week)
Successful completion of the series results in a Recognition of Mastery in Online Nursing.
Next Class Dates
Spring Series Classes
June 20 - August 22, 2014 - Registration Available
Fall Series Classes
September 12 - November 14, 2014 - Registration Available
Fee: $599 (includes all 3 workshops for each class series)
For more details or to register, please complete our form on the right and we'll get you started.
Note: Each workshop is one week long. Between each workshop there will be a three-week break to give you time to complete some self-guided research and to reflect on your learning.
Online Nursing Mastery I: Using Multimedia Instructional Technology to Foster Faculty-Student Engagement
Online nurse educators need specialized knowledge and skill sets to be able to create a motivational online space that promotes learning. Nursing research provides evidence that educators can enhance content delivery by using interactive multimedia and instructional technology. In this workshop, you will explore relevant research in learning theory and the basics of electronic learning and begin to redesign an existing online course by incorporating multimedia educational technology to foster faculty and student engagement.
- Synthesize and discuss the nursing literature regarding online learning, online learning theories and best practices, and the benefits of using educational technology in online nursing classrooms.
- Create a multimedia instructional component for your current or future online course.
Online Nursing Mastery II: Social Learning Theory and Using Social Media to Enhance Learning
The student’s perception of social presence is a pivotal consideration when creating an effective and satisfying community of online learners. Social presence increases as people and environments appear to be real. In this workshop, you will explore social learning theory, and how to enhance learning using social Media. You will continue to modify your course and apply these concepts by creating a plan for a social-media enhanced virtual discussion and collaboration space.
- Synthesize and explain social learning theory, the nursing literature regarding social presence and the influence of educational technology on social presence, satisfaction, and learning.
- Create a course plan for that incorporates a social-media enhanced virtual discussion and collaboration space.
Online Nursing Mastery III: Transform Your Online Nursing Classroom
Throughout the two previous workshops, you explored the literature relative to the value of using multimedia and social media for online teaching. You alsop racticed using various educational technologies to enhance engagement and learning. In this workshop, you will put it all together and complete the transformation of your chosen online nursing course by augmenting your lesson plans or modules using several educational technology tools, web-based multimedia, and social media tools.
- Synthesize theory, knowledge and skills relative to educational technology and modify course lesson plans accordingly.
- Create and present a final project that incorporates multimedia and social learning components.