A letter from the editors
of the Sloan-C View
Focusing on ways technology adds new possibilities for learning, this issue includes:
- Tips for "Creating Effective Online Presentations" courtesy of Stephen Laster, Director of the Babson College Curriculum and Innovation Technology Group.
- In "Hot off the Blog," Ray Schroeder of the University of Illinois at Springfield rounds up news related to technology, techniques and transformation.
- Thomas F. Humphrey announces a "Pilot Distance Learning Graduate Transportation Certificate Program: A Transportation Workforce Development Initiative" to meet the nation’s growing need in this field.
- In "What Prospective Online Learners Need to Know," George Lorenzo, editor and publisher of Educational Pathways, points out some of the ways website designers can help learners quickly find what they need.
- Share your insights in "What can online education contribute to traditional education?"
In other news, Florida State University announces two masters degree programs, and Berkeley College adds a bachelor degree to the Sloan-C Catalog of online programs. We welcome the Cisco Networking Academy to Sloan-C membership and invite you to take a look at its internet technology skills program for high schools and colleges worldwide.
Please share your resources for the community in the Sloan-C effective practices collection. And, for a wealth of useful information, please visit the Sloan-C free resources page.
In 2005, Sloan-C plans a series of online workshops on topics such as copyright compliance, engineering education, virtual worlds, online pedagogy, blended learning, business issues and more. Sign up here to be notified of new events.
Starting on February 23, an interactive online seminar begins, focusing on copyright compliance for online educators. In this seminar, Linda Enghagen, attorney and associate professer at UMass Amherst, will take you through the key copyright issues that you and your colleagues should be aware of when delivering your online courses. In addition, in discussion boards and live session you’ll be able to ask any questions of the presenter in
both asynchronous and synchronous formats. For more information, and to register, visit Sloan-C Online Events.
We look forward to hearing from you and to seeing you online,
… for the Sloan Consortium
Frank Mayadas, John Bourne and Janet Moore
The purpose of the Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C) is to help learning organizations continually improve the quality, scale, and breadth of their online programs according to their own distinctive missions, so that education will become a part of everyday life, accessible and affordable for anyone, anywhere, at any time, in a wide variety of disciplines. You are welcome to join Sloan-C:
Welcome to New Member and New Programs in
the Sloan-C Catalog
Cisco Systems, Inc., Cisco Networking Academy
Cisco Networking Academy Program is a comprehensive e-learning program in high schools and colleges worldwide with curriculum designed to teach students internet technology skills.
Florida State University
* Master of Science in Nursing
* Master of Social Work
Berkeley College (NJ)
* Business Administration (bachelor)