New Sloan-C Webinars
This year, Sloan-C has added webinars to their list of resources for educators. These webinars typically last anywhere from a half hour to an hour and a half. Most are free to Individual Members. Institutional members and non members pay a separate fee. Details can be found on the webinar detail pages.
Live Preview of the Emerging Technologies in Online Learning Conference & Symposium - April 20 3:00 - 4:30 ET
Learn more about the Emerging Technologies for Online Learning Symposium symposium taking place July 20-23, 2010 in San Jose, CA. Hear more about the program content and what the conference has to offer you.
Introduction to Second Life - April 28 2:00 - 3:30 ET
Second Life is a popular 3D virtual environment that has many applications for education. In this webinar, you'll be introduced to some of the educational possibilities of Second Life.
College Pass Professional Development Program Information Session - May 5 2:00 - 3:00 ET
Are you looking for a cost effective way to implement a faculty development program or looking to add on to your current program? Join us for an informational webinar for details about what the College Pass is, how it’s implemented, and the workshops that we offer.
Sloan-C Membership Information Session - May 12 2:00 - 3:00 ET
Have you considered joining the Sloan Consortium community? Join us for an informational webinar on how membership in the Sloan Consortium can benefit you, your institution, or your corporation.
Please take a look at our upcoming webinars.
(Registrations for some of the webinars have not been opened yet.)
Call for Presentations Now Open for 16th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning – Nov 3-5 (Orlando)
We invite you to submit a presentation for the 16th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference On Online Learning: "The Power of Online Learning: Stimulating New Possibilities," to be held November 3-5, 2010 at the Caribe Royale Hotel and Resort in Orlando, FL. The conference strongly encourages presentations that report on online and blended learning research, theory, and practice at all levels. Proposals that address blended learning, issues of diversity, international applications of online learning, open educational resources, social networking, online learning and community colleges, and/or K-12 online education are especially encouraged. Last year’s conference attracted over 1,375 participants to more than 200 presentations, as well as exhibits, pre-conference workshops, keynote and plenary addresses, and a variety of other special events. When submitting your abstract for review, you will have the option to have it considered for one of the following Program Tracks:
- Technology and Emerging Learning Environments
- Student Services and Learner Support
- Faculty Development
- Professional Development and Workforce Training
- Leadership, Values and Society
- K-12 Online Education
In addition to submitting a proposal to one of the seven tracks, we invite you to submit a proposal for a pre-conference workshop. We are looking for intensive, in-depth, highly interactive sessions that explore key issues, tools and subject in great detail. The pre-conference workshop format allows for more detailed descriptions and walkthroughs during the quieter time before the conference.
Proposals must be submitted by May 3, 2010. Submit proposals online at http://www.sloanconsortium.org/2010aln/call_for_papers.
Register Now for the 3rd Annual Emerging Technologies for Online Learning Symposium – July 20-23rd (San Jose)
- Get the tools you need to enhance your classes! Register now for pre-conference workshops for the July 20-23rd symposium. Pre-conference workshops are available to full conference attendees at special discounted prices of $125 for ½ day and $225 for full day workshops. Space is limited and most workshops tend to fill quickly. All workshops are held Tuesday, July 20th. Visit our conference website for full descriptions of each workshop. Register early to secure your first choice of workshops!
- Early Bird Registration is now open! Don’t miss your opportunity to register at the reduced rate of $495 for regular attendees or $445 for Sloan-C members. Early Bird registration deadline is June 30th.
- Register for conference updates to receive the latest news on the ET4Online Symposium. The full conference program will be posted soon.
- Reserve your hotel room now at the Fairmont San Jose at special rate for Symposium attendees of $132.00 per night plus taxes. State of California employees receive a waiver of tax with valid government I.D. presented at check-in. Reservations should be made by June 25th in order to receive these special rates.
- Join us April 20th @ 3PM ET for a live preview of Sloan-C's upcoming Emerging Technologies for Online Learning Symposium to be held July 20 - 23 in San Jose, CA. Learn more about the program content and what the conference has to offer you!
This session will be held in Elluminate. Click here to register.
Top 5 benefits of attending the 7th Annual Sloan-C Blended Learning Conference and Workshop – April 19-20 (Oak Brook, IL – Chicago)
You will leave with strategies to:
5. Manage time to degree, limited classroom space and instructional resource issues; achieve institutional missions and goals; and enhance teaching and learning by blending the best of both online and face-to-face learning.
4. Address the business concerns of adopting or enhancing a blended learning model at your institution, including insights on financial models and administrative structures.
3. Answer these questions: what do you blend, where do you begin, how do you scale, how do you pay for it, and how do you know if it’s working?
2. Improve the quality, scale and prevalence of blended programs at your institution.
And the number one benefit of attending…
1. EFFICIENCIES! Blended learning is, most importantly the best aspects of face-to-face and online learning integrated in a manner that enhances the learning effectiveness. In addition, blended learning can be cost effective if strategically implemented to maximize existing resources.
For complete program details and to register for the conference, visit our website at http://www.sloanconsortium.org/blended.
Special thanks to our Coast-to-Coast sponsors - Compass Knowledge Group (Diamond), Sonic Foundry (Technology), and Elluminate, Learning Objects and Embanet (Platinum) - for their support of this conference. Visit our sponsor page at http://www.sloanconsortium.org/blended/bld2010_sponsors to learn more about these companies and the blended learning solutions they have to offer you.
Share Your Views: Another Way to Participate in the Sloan-C Community
Below are blog posts of interest collected from www.sloanconsortium.org. Feel free to share your ideas by posting comments.
Did you know that if you have a Sloan-C account, you can create blog posts on the Sloan Consortium website? Log in to your account and under the "My Account" link on the right hand menu, click on "Blog Entry".
Leveraging Resources for Anywhere Anytime Education, JALN Volume 14 Issue 1
by Janet Moore
In light of increasing demand and decreasing funding, a special issue of JALN (14:1) invites policy makers and practitioners to review Sloan-C publications that explain how to leverage resources via online and blended education.
Click here to read the blog post.
Future Directions for the Quality Matters™ Program
by Ron Legon
The Quality Matters Program continues to grow and change to keep pace with the rapid growth of online learning so effectively documented in the annual Sloan-C surveys. In its four years of existence as a non-profit organization, QM subscriber base has grown to over 400 colleges and universities in the U.S. and is beginning to attract international subscribers as well. Many thousands of faculty, instructional designers, and distance education leaders have been exposed to the QM standards and principles through our extensive training program, the Sloan-C workshops, and an increasing number of institution-based faculty development programs.
Click here to read the blog post.
The New 2010 Sloan-C Certificate
The Sloan-C Certificate prepares educators to teach and improve online courses using the Sloan-C pillars of quality in online education--learning effectiveness, scale, faculty and student satisfaction, and access. A unique feature of the certificate program is that expert mentors work individually with each certificate candidate to accomplish specific goals. The certificate consists of a 9-week foundation course and a variety of electives or learning specializations that focus on improving overall competency within a specific area of academic focus. The workshops in each specialization are structured to encourage skill development and practical application within the participants' specific job function. Upon completing the 9-week foundation course, individuals can select 3 individual electives, one specialization, or multiple specializations that best suit professional development objectives.
Participants achieve a Sloan-C Certificate by completing 3 chosen electives. Specializations will be cited on the candidate’s certificate of completion.
- Blended Learning
- Design and Delivery
- Tools and Techniques
The Sloan-C Certificate foundation costs $1,499 plus three (3) required electives; priced at $345 (10-day workshop) or $495 (3-week workshop). Elective workshops may be funded by coupons available through Sloan-C membership discounts and the Sloan-C College Pass professional development package.
Click here for more detailed information. For any questions regarding the certificate, please e-mail email@example.com.
2010 Sloan-C Institutional Membership - New Benefits
The Sloan-C Institutional Membership allows all faculty and administrators full Sloan-C web access. In addition, each institution receives (among other benefits):
* 10 $50 Sloan-C Conference discounts ($500 value)
* 20 $150 Sloan-C Workshop discounts ($3,000 value)
* 10% Discount on Sloan-C publications
* 10% Discount on College Pass ($349 Value)
* Access to the Annual Online Learning Survey, Special Topic Webinars and Practitioner Documents ('Tips & Insights’ from Sloan-C workshops)
Each member may join Sloan-C public and private online forums and is eligible for awards.
New for 2010
* Practitioner Documents: Key insights from our workshops. Workshop participants discuss and share tips, techniques, experiences and issues based on the topic of each workshop. As a member of Sloan-C, you can benefit from this shared knowledge and learn from your colleagues who are faced with the same challenges for moving into online learning. Click here for abstracts and list of Practitioner Documents.
* Premium Institutional Membership option: perfect for larger organizations with greater discount needs; includes discounts for exhibiting or sponsoring Sloan-C Conferences.
* Corporate Affiliate options
* Discounted webinars
* Sloan-C Member logo for use on your website
* Access to list of faculty who have completed Sloan-C Certificate Programs
Community College Discount: 15%
Multi-Campus Institution (3+)Discount: 20%
HBCU Discount: 30%
Learn more or register for Institutional Membership here.
The 2010 College Pass Professional Development Package
Looking for a cost effective way to give your staff and faculty access to the full range of Sloan-C online workshops?
The College Pass Professional Development Package includes 100 seats in the widely acclaimed Sloan-C online workshop series. Many institutions use the workshops as a cost-effective and convenient way to improve quality in online education while networking with new colleagues. Online workshops are 2 to 3 weeks long with convenient synchronous and asynchronous delivery.
- 100 seats per year in over 75 Sloan-C online workshops which cover a variety of key online education topics.
- Institutions may share or transfer seats to any individual, not only to faculty and administrators.
- Additional workshop seat coupons may be purchased at the rate of $1,950 per 50 coupons.
Price: $3,495 bringing down the cost of a workshop seat to $34.95 (Workshops are regularly priced at $345 and $495.)
Click here for more information about the College Pass Professional Development Package.
Learn From the Experts - The Sloan-C 2010 Workshop Series
Click here for other upcoming workshops.
Online Learning: Making the Institutional Business Case - May 5 - 14
Online and blended learning have flourished over the past decade. Many faculty and students now crave this mode of teaching and learning, and across the educational landscape world class pedagogies, courses and programs have been created. This workshop explores how we move from informal and grassroots approaches, which fueled the adoption of online and blended learning, to an institutionally sponsored and supported paradigm.
Click here for details and
Using the Quality Matters Rubric to Improve Your Online Course - May 12 - 28
Recognizing quality is much like recognizing art; everybody sees something different. With regard to online courses, your students, faculty, administrators, peers, and accrediting bodies may not know what to look for in assessing quality. Defining quality standards proves crucial to successful course design and implementation.
Click here for details and
Copyright Compliance for Online Educators - May 19 - 28
Online educators need to understand personal liability for copyright infringement when using materials to supplement an online course. Copyright owners have sued and will continue to sue individuals. You also need to know how your original works can be protected. Publishers and the academic community have established a set of educational fair use guidelines to provide standards and protection for educators.
Click here for details and
Technology Bootcamp - May 19 - June 4
The Sloan-C International Symposium on Emerging Technology Applications for Online Learning is designed to bring together individuals interested in the technological aspects of online learning. Experts, intermediate users and novices are welcome to participate in Symposium activities that will include face-to-face and virtual components. This event will be held in Summer of 2010 in San Francisco, California. This online workshop will get attendees up-to-speed on technologies being used at the conference (non-conference attendees are welcome to participate).
Click here for details and
Getting Started: The First Step Toward Online Teaching - June 2 - 18
Getting Started: The First Step Toward Online Teaching is a prerequisite to the Sloan-C Certificate in Online Education program. This workshop introduces potential faculty and/or administrators to online education fundamentals. You will not only discuss the concepts but use the technologies to gain practical "hands-on" experience.
Click here for details and
21st Century students learn differently. As 21st
Century educators, you need the tools to reach them-regardless of
geographical, physical, intellectual, and economic barriers. At
Elluminate, we take global accessibility very seriously. While most
eLearning and Web conferencing products are built with the mass market
in mind, we take a radically different approach, elevating
accessibility to a whole new level. Our No User Left Behind philosophy
means that Elluminate Live! is completely cross platform, optimized for
low bandwidth, and designed to engage all types of learners, including
those with disabilities. Learn more about how Elluminate can help you
deliver 21st Century learning today, http://www.ilearndifferently.net/.
Follow us on Join Sloan-C’s Join Sloan-C’s Join Sloan-C’s
Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C), sponsored
by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, is composed
of institutions and organizations dedicated to continually improving the
quality, scale, and breadth of their online programs, according to their
own distinctive missions, so that education becomes a part of everyday
life, accessible and affordable for anyone, anywhere, at any time, in a
wide variety of disciplines.
Sloan-C View is published by Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C™). Responsibility
for the contents rests with the authors and not with Sloan-C™. Copyright
©2009 by Sloan-C™.
you have a question or comment, would like to submit an article for
publication, or would like to suggest an event to be listed on the Sloan-C
View Calendar, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Materials in the Sloan-C View, unless otherwise noted, may be distributed
freely for educational purposes. However, if any materials are
redistributed they must retain the copyright notice and use the proper
citation. Kindly send an email to email@example.com
indicating how you are using the material for distribution. Your privacy
issue is being sent to: %%emailaddr%% If you do not wish to receive future
issues, please send a blank email to and your email address
will be removed from our list.
Sloan Consortium, PO Box 1238, Newburyport, MA