Workshop Model and Policies
The asynchronous portion of the workshop typically runs ten days (there are some workshops that run two-three weeks). Participants login to use Moodle (Sloan-C’s learning management system) on a Wednesday and are 'tasked' with learning the platform, reviewing pre-populated workshop materials, and downloading Elluminate Live!® (Sloan-C’s web conferencing platform). Throughout the ten days, workshop participants 'engage' with the workshop facilitators and fellow participants in the discussion forums. The final day of the workshop (Friday) Sloan-C hosts a synchronous one-hour, web conferencing session whereby facilitators and participants can interact in real time.
Benefits to Participants
- Facilitated by subject matter experts or leaders in field
- Ability to network with faculty from all over the country (some international)
- Enhance/acquire skills to teach effectively online
- Access to a compendium of resources provided by facilitators and workshop participants alike
- Designed to build or enhance educators’ professional knowledge, skills, and leadership in distance/online education and training
- Designed as flexible, learner-centered offerings, Sloan-C educational initiatives integrate core knowledge and theory with practical, experiential-based exercises, case studies, and discussions
- Educational initiatives are presented via the Internet and web conferencing, with supplemental print and multi-media formats so travel is not required
- Participants may enroll in workshops on a certificate or non-certificate basis
- Develop skills in distance education and online learning
- Expand current knowledge and apply new ideas in practice
- Provide grounding in the pedagogy of online teaching and learning
- Prepare participants to facilitate online, built upon Sloan-C’s effective practices, using their current teaching or training materials
- Gain hands-on experience as a distance learner
Possible Career Outcomes
- Prepare for a distance education position
- Enhance career opportunities within individual’s own organization or externally
Upon registering and paying for a workshop, you will receive an enrollment key to access your workshops at http://community.sloanconsortium.org. This enrollment key is for your personal use and should not be shared with anyone else. Once a workshop begins, you will have 5 days to use that enrollment key to access your workshop. You will have access to that workshop for 365 days starting on the day you enroll.
If you do not satisfactorily complete a Sloan-C workshop for which you need a Certificate of Completion to advance to another Sloan-C workshop or to provide your organization with proof of professional development activities within the scheduled time frame of the workshop, you will have to retake the workshop at an additional cost.
Sloan-C strives to deliver all workshops as scheduled. However, if fewer than 15 people register for a workshop, or if a workshop facilitator falls ill, we reserve the right to re-schedule or cancel workshops. If this happens, we will give as much advanced notice as possible. In the event a workshop is cancelled or rescheduled, you will be given the opportunity to select another workshop in the same calendar year that fits your schedule and your registration payment will be applied to that workshop. No refunds will be given.
If you register and pay for a Sloan-C workshop and are unable to enroll (due to personal schedule conflicts, illness, etc), we will be happy to apply your payment to another Sloan-C workshop in the same calendar year upon your written request to email@example.com. No refunds will be given.
You may request to transfer to a different session of a workshop for which you are registered at no additional charge provided the request is made before the day the workshop opens. Once you use your enrollment key to access a workshop, no transfer to another workshop or refund will be allowed.
Sloan-C is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all workshop participants in accordance with federal guidelines. If you have a disability, use assistive technology, or need accommodation to fully access a workshop, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be contacted by someone from our Sloan-C Institute staff to discuss your needs.
Intellectual Property & Copyright
Unless stated otherwise, Sloan-C and/or workshop facilitators retain copyright on all workshop materials. Please do not copy workshop materials or distribute them to anyone without prior written approval from the copyright owner.
Special Note: The workshop content remains property of Sloan-C. Any product/content that faculty create as a result of participating in a Sloan-C workshop becomes the property of that faculty member